Sign in to follow this  
Guest Datsunman240

Bang and Olufsen Penta MK3 won't turn on!

Guest Datsunman240

Last month I purchased a pair of B&O Pentas', and as the speakers made in the early 90's, they had some exterior damage and I talked the seller down to a decent price of $600 (these were $5000 dollars when they were new). I plugged the units in and all "seemed" to work well. I was aware that the screen on the unit would not turn on if it was not attached to a B&O music player and figured I was in the clear. However upon getting them to the house, acquiring the proper cables and digital to analog converters for the unit, I set them up and... the speakers failed to turn on.

I have since opened the speakers and found only a couple of lose ends that needed to be reattached in the base of the unit, however i'm positive that does not account for the many things that can go wrong with them. The fuses are being replaced as well. Both units have 150 watt amps and have circuitry that run all the way to the top of the five foot tall, 9 driver speakers. Anybody know what I can/should do in this position?

Nelion Audio came out to the NY Audio show and thats how I knew to contact  you guys so thanks!

On 11/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, Guest Datsunman240 said:

Last month I purchased a pair of B&O Pentas', and as the speakers made in the early 90's, they had some exterior damage and I talked the seller down to a decent price of $600 (these were $5000 dollars when they were new). I plugged the units in and all "seemed" to work well. I was aware that the screen on the unit would not turn on if it was not attached to a B&O music player and figured I was in the clear. However upon getting them to the house, acquiring the proper cables and digital to analog converters for the unit, I set them up and... the speakers failed to turn on.

I have since opened the speakers and found only a couple of lose ends that needed to be reattached in the base of the unit, however i'm positive that does not account for the many things that can go wrong with them. The fuses are being replaced as well. Both units have 150 watt amps and have circuitry that run all the way to the top of the five foot tall, 9 driver speakers. Anybody know what I can/should do in this position?

Nelion Audio came out to the NY Audio show and thats how I knew to contact  you guys so thanks!

Well, I can tell you B & O is not always easy to troubleshoot. Those speakers are active and they have a display for volume of I remember. Best way to troubleshoot them is to test each of its subsection components. But I think if you follow up on ensuring the connections are solid and inspecting other failure areas such as capacitors and speaker drivers, you'll be in the clear!